Distract your urges with hot jewelery.

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

infectiousbrain89
settling in
settling in

Distract your urges with hot jewelery.

Post by infectiousbrain89 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:14 am

I was feeling crappy today and decided to make an SI bracelet.It took me a couple hours (since I weaved it) and really proved to be a great distraction from my nagging urges.I couldnt find anything in this section about SI bracelets,so sorry if this is in the wrong section.But anyway,I browsed a lot of different forums and such,since I didnt really know what colors to use.There seems to be a lot of confusion but if you feel like making one, these are the supposed to be the colors...

Orange-you are an active SI-er.

White-you have never SI-ed but support and understand loved ones who struggle with self injury.

Blue-You suffer from depression/mood disorders.

Red-You suffer from an eating disorder

Yellow-You are suicidal

(adding white to any of these means you are trying to recover,or you are recovered.)

There are tons more but unfortunetly I don't recall them.
Anyway,I made mine Orange,Blue,and White and it not only distracted me,but turned out really nice.
Give it a try even when your not feeling urgey,and you'll have an awesome new bracelet!
Last SI 12-2-07 yippee!

~*^*~Chiisa na chikyuu ga mawaru hodo yasashisa mi ni tsuku yo.Mo ichido anata o dakishimetai dekiru dake sotto~*^*~

Beasty
troll sniper
troll sniper

Post by Beasty » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:57 pm

Yeah I made myself an orange and white woven anklet. It looked lovely and it gave me something to do with my fingers
"No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There’s always a boom tomorrow. What? Look, somebody’s got to have some damn perspective around here. Boom, sooner or later. BOOM!" - Susan Ivanova

Eisa = Beasty's Twin

Beasty's Place!

angelic212
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by angelic212 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:25 pm

this is a great coping alterantive.

i make beaded bracelets and it really does help. also i make string bracelets. it takes longer time but it does help good distraction

infectiousbrain89
settling in
settling in

Post by infectiousbrain89 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:47 pm

Yeah,I like making woven ones because they take longer and I like the look of woven jewelry.If I make one for me and still feel urgey or crappy I make another one for a friend. Mine is Orange,White and Dark Blue.I love it.
I wear it everywhere!!!
Last SI 12-2-07 yippee!

~*^*~Chiisa na chikyuu ga mawaru hodo yasashisa mi ni tsuku yo.Mo ichido anata o dakishimetai dekiru dake sotto~*^*~

Paige1989
orange smartie
orange smartie

Post by Paige1989 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:04 am

That sounds like a good idea. :) My ability is limited to Friendship bracelet types. :P I got one of those Klutz books for that, and a Klutz book for hemp, but that looks a lot harder so I haven't tried it yet. :P
My Place
Remember when...Getting high meant swinging at the playground; The problem with boys was cooties; Mom was your hero and Dad was Superman; Your worst enemies were your siblings; Race issues were about who ran the fastest; War was just a card game; The only drugs you knew were Motrin and cough medicine; Wearing skirts meant you were a princess, not a slut; The only things that could get broken were your toys; Cutting meant budging in the lunch line; Life was simple and Carefree and all I wanted to do was grow up...now all I want is a rewind button.

infectiousbrain89
settling in
settling in

Post by infectiousbrain89 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:01 am

They're actually not too difficult,they just take a lot of time.I average an hour to an hour and a half to make one.
This is a pretty good site for directions on making them: http://www.geocities.com/hbernb/

It even shows you how to make letters!!!!
Last SI 12-2-07 yippee!

ReineDuSommeil
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by ReineDuSommeil » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:05 am

ooohhh I need to get some weavy bits and beads......!

thanks for the idea honey!!!

it's going to be orange, blue, red and white! (white because I'm recovered from the ed)

xxxx

angelic212
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by angelic212 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:36 pm

i think i will make some bracelets right now.

im struggling alot right now and im having a tough time.
i think making bracelets right now will help me.

infectiousbrain89
settling in
settling in

Post by infectiousbrain89 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:05 pm

Awesome.I'm sure they will turn out looking great!!!

oooh,sounds like you're going to have a great looking bracelet ReineDuSommeil.

I made my Orange the thickest (4 strands) since it's the main problem,
Dark blue was 3 strands and white was 2 strands.That's one of the things I like is you can make one color more dominant than another to show where you are in real life.You could even make another bracelet with tons of white and very little of the colors representing problems you have now and make it a goal to wear the bracelet one
day when you're recovered.

I might make another one too,since I've been feeling pretty down lately.
Last SI 12-2-07 yippee!

Luscious Peanut
settling in
settling in

Post by Luscious Peanut » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:11 pm

this motivates me to learn peyote stitch. ohhhh. making jelwery, bracelets is meditative, "Orange, one two three, white one, orange one two three..." I've lost so much joy in my hobbies recently, I've forgotten how much I love making jewelery. This will be perfect. Thank you for posting.
http://www.beadholiday.com/flat_peyote.jpg
-Luci Pea
"The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work."
Emile Zola

infectiousbrain89
settling in
settling in

Post by infectiousbrain89 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:41 am

No problem.

Lovely bracelets!!!
Last SI 12-2-07 yippee!

zombiepeople
knows the ropes
knows the ropes
Location: next to the spooky bus stop...i've never seen a bus there though...hmm

Post by zombiepeople » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:30 am

I made myself a beady bracelet today on my bead loom. I hadn't made one forever, but it's a great stress reliever.

The bracelet's a diamond pattern, the main part is blue, the diamonds are red, and inside each diamond is one orange bead. The edges and middle of the bracelet are yellow too. It was fun to make.

I'm thinking about making one for my therapist made of white beads to symbolize the help and support that she gives me. i don't know, maybe that'd be stupid...but it would give me something to do.
"Wouldn't it be great to heal the world with only a song?"
~Serj Tankian
"Honking Antelope

infectiousbrain89
settling in
settling in

Post by infectiousbrain89 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:09 am

Wow,sounds really beautiful.The diamond shapes are really fun to do,plus time consuming.

I think your idea to make one for your therapsit is cool.Even if you don't actually give it to her.Or if you feel like it's wierd,then you could make her a key chain or something else to show your gratitude.
I'm sure she'll like it no matter what it is.
Last SI 12-2-07 yippee!

zombiepeople
knows the ropes
knows the ropes
Location: next to the spooky bus stop...i've never seen a bus there though...hmm

Post by zombiepeople » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:36 pm

Maybe I will make a bracelet for my T andgive it to her along with a picture I drew for her of the Winnie the Pooh characters. I think it may be a nice gesture of saying that I appreciate the help she's given to me over the past three years of us working together.

The diamond bracelet was fun to make and it actually only took about an hour and a half. I made one once which was a peace sign and it was 20 beads wide and it took me days to finish because I kept getting so frusterated with it. it was still fun though, and Im thinking about sewing it onto my purse as a patch or something like that.

Any sort of artsy crafty thing has always been a good stress reliever/coping skill when I'm not having such a good time.
~Serj Tankian
"Honking Antelope

infectiousbrain89
settling in
settling in

Post by infectiousbrain89 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:25 pm

Yeah,I've found out that my crafting hobbies can really be a life saver.
I think your T will love the drawing and bracelet!!!!
Agh,I want to craft now,too bad I have to go to work!!!
Last SI 12-2-07 yippee!

angelic212
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by angelic212 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:32 am

i feel like making bracelets now , and doing some arts and crafts also.

i will go to the store tomorrow to get some colored yarn to make some bracelets

now i have something to do.

i think for now though since its kind of late i will do some drawings its helpful too

infectiousbrain89
settling in
settling in

Post by infectiousbrain89 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:35 am

Awesome...I love drawing and doing various little arts and crafts.

I want to see all the beautiful bracelets you guys are making.I should post some pictures of my own when I have the time.
Last SI 12-2-07 yippee!

Dorky&Weird2
part of the fixtures
part of the fixtures

Post by Dorky&Weird2 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:39 am

i have been wanting to make a bracelet for the longest and now i can,thanks.

yay now i have to go to the store and buy some stuff :)

*S*
:1hug: & PM's are ok with me!
~My Place-*She* will be ~Loved~...{SI}
LAST SI-{2/8/10} :clover:<1year>
R.I.P.-Steve Irwin-9/4/06<3
"They took her moments of feeling alive,And made them moments of dying inside."~Annie-SafetySuit
~Tree Avvy made by the wonderful WDS
I love my cats :cystar: :cat4: :cystar:

zombiepeople
knows the ropes
knows the ropes

Post by zombiepeople » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:25 am

I made a bracelet for my T, and she really liked it :star:

Hers was the same diamond pattern as the one I made for myself, but instead of all the colors, blue, red, yellow, and orange, hers is white and clear diamonds and in between the diamonds is one bead of each of the other colors. Basically the colors in the bracelet say that she supports me through my issues with my depression/anxiety disorders, my SI, my ED, and suicidal thoughts, and is helping me to recover.
~Serj Tankian
"Honking Antelope

infectiousbrain89
settling in
settling in

Post by infectiousbrain89 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:34 am

That sounds pretty.Did she like it?
Last SI 12-2-07 yippee!