Grounding Techniques

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

silent_end
cow control
cow control

Grounding Techniques

Post by silent_end » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:48 am

Using grounding to detach from emotional pain

What is grounding?

Grounding is asset of simple strategies to detach from emotional pain (e.g., drug cravings, self-harm impulses, anger, and sadness.) Distractions works by focusing outward on the external world, rather than inward toward the self. You can also think of it as “distractions”, “centering”, “a safe place, and “looking outward”or“healthy detachment

Why do grounding?
When you are overwhelmed with emotional pain, you need to detach so that you can gain control over your feelings and stay safe. As long as you are grounding, you cannot possible use substances to harm yourself! Grounding “anchors” you to the present and to reality.
Many people with PTSD and substance abuse struggle with feeling either too much (overwhelming emotions or memories) or too little (numbing and dissociation). In grounding you attain a balance between the two; conscious of reality and able to tolerate it. Remember that pain is a feeling, it is not who you are. When you get caught up in it, it feels like you are your pain, and that is all that exists. But it is only one part of your experience - the others are just hidden and can be found again through grounding.

Guidelines
Grounding can be done any time, any place, anywhere, and no one has to know
:star: Use grounding when you are faced with a trigger, enraged, disassociating, having a substance craving, or whenever your emotional pain goes above 6 (on a scale of 0-10). Grounding puts healthy distance between you and these negative feelings.
:star: Keep your eyes open, scan the room, and turn the light on to stay in touch with the present
:star: Rate your mood before and after grounding, to test whether it worked. Before grounding, rate your level of emotional pain (0-10 where 10means “extreme pain”). Then rate it afterwards. Has it gone down?
:star: No talking about negative feelings or journal writing - you want to distract away from negative feelings, not to get in touch with them.
:star: Stay neutral – avoid judgments of “good” and “bad”. For examples instead of “The walls are blue, I dislike blue because it reminds me of depression”, simply say “the walls are blue” and move on.
:star: Focus on the present, not the past or future
:star: Not that grounding is not the same as relaxation training. Grounding is much more active, focuses on distraction strategies, and is intended to help extreme negative feelings. It is believed to be more effective then relaxation training for PTSD.

Ways of grounding
There are three major ways of grounding which are described below; Mental, Physical and soothing. Mental means focusing your mind; Physical means focusing on your senses (e.g., touch hearing); and soothing means taking to yourself in a very kind way. You may find that one type works better for you, or all types may be helpful.

Mental Grounding

Describe your environment in detail, using all your sense – for example, “The walls are white, there are five pink chairs; there is a wooden bookshelf against the wall…” describe objects sounds, textures colours, smells, shapes, numbers, and temperature. You can do this anywhere. For example, on the subway (train): “I’m on the subway (train). I’ll see the river son. Those are the windows. This is a bench. The metal bar is silver. The subway (train) map is four colours.”

Play a categories game with yourself. Try to think of “types of dogs”, “musicians”, “states that begin with A”, “cars”, TV shows, writers, sports, songs or favorite cities

Do an age progression. If you have regressed to a younger age (e.g., 8 years old... You can slowly work your way back up (e.g. “I’m 9 now, I’m now 10, I’m now 11…”) until you are back to your current age

Describe an everyday activity in great detail. For example, describe a mean that you cook, (e.g. first I peel the potatoes and cut them into quarters; then boil the water; then make an herb marinade of oregano, basil, garlic and olive oil)

Imagine. Use an image: Glide along on skates away from your pain; change the TV channel to get to a better show; think of a wall as a buffer between you and your pain

Say a safety statement. “My name is __________: I am safe right now. I am in the present, not the past I am located in __________; the date is __________”

Read something. Saying each word to yourself or read each letter backwards so that you focus on the letters and not the meaning of the words

Use humor. Think of something funny to say to yourself to jolt you out of your mood
Count to 10 or say the alphabet very s………l………o…….…..w……..…l……….y

Physical Grounding

:star: Run cool or warm water over your hands
:star: Grab tightly on your chair as hard as you can
:star: Touch various objects around you: a pen, keys, your clothing, the table, and the walls. Notice textures, colours, materials, weight, temperature, compare objects you touch: is one colder? Lighter?
:star: Dig your heels into the floor – literally “grounding” them! Notice the tension center in your heel as you do this. Remind yourself that you are connected to the ground
:star: Carry around a grounding object in your pocket – s small object ( a small rock, clay, a ring, a piece of cloth or yarn) that you can touch whenever you are triggered
:star: Jump up and down
:star: Notice your body: the weight of your body in the chair; wiggling your toes in your socks; the feel of your back against the chair. You are connected to the world.
:star: Stretch. Extent your fingers, arms or legs as far as you can; roll your head around
:star: Clench and release your fists
:star: Walk slowly, noticing each footstep. Saying left or right with each step
:star: Eat something, describing the flavors in detail to yourself
:star: Focus on your breathing, noticing each inhale and exhale. Repeat a pleasant word to yourself on each inhale ( e.g., a favourite colour, or a soothing word such as “safe” or “easy”)

Soothing
:star: Say kind statements, as if you were talking to a small child – for example, “ you are a good person going through a hard time. You’ll get through this”
:star: Think of favourites. Think of your favourite colour, animal. Season, food, time of day, TV show
:star: Picture people you care about (e.g., your children, friends families) and look at photographs of them
:star: Remember the words of an inspiring song, quotation, or poem that makes you feel better (e.g., the AA serenity Prayer)
:star: Remember a safe place. Describe a place that you find very soothing (perhaps the beach or mountains or a favourite room, somewhere in the trails); focus on everything about that place, the sounds, colours, shapes, objects texture.
:star: Say a coping statement “ I can handle this, This feeling will pass”
:star: Plan a safe treat for yourself, such as a piece of candy, a nice dinner, or a warm bath
:star: Think of things you are looking forward to in the next week – perhaps time with a friend, going to a movie or going on a hike

What if grounding doesn’t work?

Grounding does work! But like any other skill, you need to practice to make it as powerful as possible. Below are suggestions to help make it work for you.

:star: Practice as often as possible, even where you don’t need it, so that you’ll know it by heart
:star: Practice faster, speeding up the pace gets you focused on the outside world quickly
:star: Try grounding for a looooooooonnnnnnngggggg time (20-30mins). And repeat, repeat, repeat.
:star: Try to notice which methods you like best – physical, mental, or soothing grounding methods or some combination
:star: Create your own methods of grounding. Any method that you can make up any be worth much more than those you read here, because it’s yours
:star: Start grounding early in a negative mood cycle. Start when a substance craving just starts or when you have just started having flashbacks. Start before anger gets out of control
:star: Make up an Index card on which you list, your best grounding methods and how long to use them
:star: Have others assist you in grounding. Teach friends or family about your grounding, so that they can help guide you if you become overwhelmed
:star: Prepare in advance. Locate places at home, in your care, and at work where you have materials and reminders for grounding
:star: Creates a cassette tape for a grounding message that you can play when needed. Consider asking you therapist or someone close to you to record it if you want to hear someone else’s voice
:star: Think about why grounding works. Why might it be that by focusing on external world, you become more aware of an inner peacefulness? Notice the methods that work for you – why might those be more powerful for you than other methods?
:star: Don’t give up

From seeking safety by Lisa M.Najavits (2002)
MY Expressions-This is my Life

My Place-Perfectly-Broken

My PBH-Shattered Dreams Unwind

My Blog Beauty from Pain: Inside EDNOS

Hedley-The perfection of my frailty has been questioned and broken

Green Day – Somebody keep my balance
I think I'm falling off Into a state of regression
The expiration date Rapidly coming up
It's leaving me behind to rank

Evanessence-Listen to each drop of rain
Whispering secrets in vain
Frantically searching for someone to hear
Their story before they hit ground

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Thu May 01, 2008 6:55 am

awesome. I'm going to add this to the coping resources list :)
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find.
John Churton Collins

Mercy
one of us
one of us

Post by Mercy » Thu May 01, 2008 9:18 am

thankyou for this, i posted it on teh narcotics anonymous website
its possible.

Never Again
quintessential regular
quintessential regular

Post by Never Again » Mon May 05, 2008 7:56 pm

thank you silent_end...

this put a lot of what i learned in therapy and dbt in one concise list.

:lpurpheart:
I have love. I have love but I don't know where to put it.

Diane M
awe-inspiring
awe-inspiring

Post by Diane M » Sat May 10, 2008 4:05 am

wow that helps lots

:star:

Roxi
knows the ropes
knows the ropes

Post by Roxi » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:20 pm

thank you so much SE , this is very helpful :)

We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving… We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins… We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything." - Courtney Martin.

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Post by Spidey » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:45 am

I'm going to sticky this for a bit.
there is, in the end, the letting go.
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

:cowave:

PassingCloud
post laureate
post laureate

Post by PassingCloud » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:38 am

this is great! Thanks! :D
[I'm talking about my life.][I can't seem to get that through to you.]
[I'm not just talking about one person,][I'm talking about everybody.]
[I'm talking about form, I'm talking about content.][I'm talking about inter-relationships.]
[I'm talking about God, the Devil, Hell, Heaven!]
[Do you understand?]
[Finally?]
(one flew over the cuckoo's nest)

:redstar:
My Place

Cuppy
sock rocker
sock rocker

Post by Cuppy » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:34 am

Thank you so much :1hug:

angelic212
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by angelic212 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:27 am

this is really helpful. i might use some of the grounding techniques, i really need them right now

Belle
creating your space
creating your space

Post by Belle » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:30 pm

this sounds really good, i am going to try it :)

- Belle

Skip
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by Skip » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:02 pm

this is so helpful!
<small><b>My halo used to shine all bright! But now...</b>
<br>
<br>
<i>Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Joseph
quintessential regular
quintessential regular

Post by Joseph » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:17 am

Thank you
My name is Joseph, formally sirjnj.
place
Workshop
Just for Today
*Hugs & PMs Welcome*
I have a BUS family now :)
SprinkleZ, Kate, and a7xcncangel are my sisters

Heidi4DBT
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by Heidi4DBT » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:56 am

my therapist is helping me with grounding techniques! Thanks for these helpful ideas. I encourage others to try grounding especailly if you experience flashbacks.

ChangeTheWorld
sprouting branches
sprouting branches

Post by ChangeTheWorld » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:03 pm

the image one works for me.. and describing my surroundings. i also focus on a task for instance if i am having a flashback or anxious whilst walking, i focus on the steps i am taking.. for instance, i count my steps or notice which foot is stepping. right foot left foot left foot right foot etc. that one really works

mel
Strength.Compassion.Creativity.

"she wonders how many women are walking around this world feeling the tingling of their amputated wings. remembering what it was to fly. to sing." Andrea Gibson "Blue Blanket"

" I come in too many flavours for just one fucking spoon" (Stacey ann chin"Crossfire")

"I want to erase the straight lines, so i can be me" (Stacey-Ann Chin " If only out of vanity")

http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=194582 every challenge met, every obstacle conquered..aka MJ's Brand New Place. Read along as much as you please.

Original_Kido78
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by Original_Kido78 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:31 am

Thank you, these are very helpful and I am going to add some ideas to my personal coping journal!
I can`t be your little princess anymore!! I`m not perfect anymore!! And I hurt too much...

han
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by han » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:38 pm

thanks this is a great list
i like counting backwards in 3s or signing all my thoughts in finger spelling to slow them down
han x

Demosthenes
settling in
settling in

Post by Demosthenes » Sat May 02, 2009 5:30 pm

Comprehensible list... Short and useful. :star:

SplinteredGirl
sock rocker
sock rocker

Re: Grounding Techniques

Post by SplinteredGirl » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:02 pm

thanks

VowsOfSadness
sock rocker
sock rocker

Re: Grounding Techniques

Post by VowsOfSadness » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:31 pm

:dkpurpstar: just used this to help with my panic attack
*Challenges welcome*
I always love a :lpurpstar:

I woke up this morning, I suddenly realized we're all in this together.

Drop by my place & say hi :)
Ask me anything!!!

I'm fully Recovered!