Random acts of kindness (feel free to join in)

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Naomi_Om
creating your space
creating your space

Post by Naomi_Om » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:23 am

thanks LP, paper cranes are cool! i haven't done those since, well, grade school??

going to try the image...that's of the poster people have been putting up around town last year:

*hopes this works*

Naomi
~"Which wolf will you feed?"~

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:30 am

:)
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find.
John Churton Collins

ProudPatriot07
growing roots
growing roots

Post by ProudPatriot07 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:27 am

Today, I was running my usual 2 miles around the campus of my university, when I saw my former literature professor going to her car (I usually run late in the afternoon when people are getting off work). She's had leg problems and has a walker now, so I helped her pick up all the folders she dropped and put them in her car for her. She's such an awesome lady, and I don't mind doing things like that for her :D

StevieLynn
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by StevieLynn » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:16 am

I started teaching my cousin how to knit because she is absolutely enamored with what I am doing. She's thrilled and I love it.
In Which Something Oooh Occurred

And it felt like a winter machine that you go through and then you catch your breath and winter starts again, and everyone else was springbound. And when I chose to live, there was no joy, it's just a line I crossed. I wasn't worth the pain my death would cost, so I was not lost or found....But when you live in a world, well, it gets in to who you th ought you'd be. And now I laugh at how the world changed me. I think life chose me after all.
--Dar Williams

Naomi_Om
creating your space
creating your space

Post by Naomi_Om » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:06 am

:1groupflip:

:star: I offered and gave my seat in a cafe to a lady who I saw would have trouble using a stool
:star: making a big list for a friend to help her brainstom

I've also been reading an amazing book - "Becoming Human" by Jean Vanier, and wanted to share a wee passage:
What is important is that each of us begins to trust in our own beauty and our capacity to do beautiful things and that we do not live simply in a struggle to survive, to achieve more in a competitive society. When we begin to believe that there is greater joy in working with and for others, rather than just for ourselves, then our society will truly become a place of celebration.
I strongly believe that not only ourselves need healing, but our entire society, the whole world. Starting, of course, with ourselves and those around us.

I would love if others shared what inspired them related to the theme of this thread.
:D

Naomi
~"Which wolf will you feed?"~

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:46 am

Gave my seat up to an old lady on the bus even though I wasn't feeling great.
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

John Churton Collins

cinitrom
settling in
settling in

Post by cinitrom » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:30 am

I told my dad I liked a song he was playing on the piano.
(My mom told me later that it totally made his day.)

StevieLynn
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by StevieLynn » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:12 pm

I copied a CD for another cousin because I remembered her saying how much she loved the artist, but hadn't gotten their newest CD.
In Which Something Oooh Occurred

And it felt like a winter machine that you go through and then you catch your breath and winter starts again, and everyone else was springbound. And when I chose to live, there was no joy, it's just a line I crossed. I wasn't worth the pain my death would cost, so I was not lost or found....But when you live in a world, well, it gets in to who you th ought you'd be. And now I laugh at how the world changed me. I think life chose me after all.
--Dar Williams

starcatuk
sock rocker
sock rocker

Post by starcatuk » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:56 pm

i think doing something good is really helpful. i gave my seat on the bus to an old woman because there wasn't anymore seats left and she would have had to stand. it made me feel so much better :D

Seeshellz
my other car is a bus
my other car is a bus

Post by Seeshellz » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:50 pm

I heard about this couple that I don't know, that came home one day to their home completely destroyed by a fire, all they had was there clothes on their backs. My friend that told me about it said the lady needed clothes and told me her size, so I looked in my closet and found 2 well stuffed boxes of clothes. Including skirts, jeans, dress pants, a dress, a robe, sweaters, shorts, t-shirts, blouses, khaki pants, and more, most of the clothes were like new, some of the clothes I never even worn. I felt so good to help...I wish I could help more...they didn't have any insurance...I feel so bad for them...:(
"If you learn from your suffering,

and really come to understand the lesson you were taught,

you might be able to help someone else who's now

in the phase you may have just completed.

Maybe that's what it's all about after all..."

Anonymous

starcatuk
sock rocker
sock rocker

Post by starcatuk » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:54 pm

I gave my mum a big bunch of flowers today because its mother's day. She loved them and it made me feel much better. :D

Marleymom
one of us
one of us

Naomi Om I'ts me Marley

Post by Marleymom » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:08 am

You know who I am, are you still out there where you moved?

Can you tell I miss you, because I do!!

Are you there or here?

God I felt bad when you called to say you were moving, and I couldn't see you off...

I just got SO EXCITED to see your name here...

I really do still love you.

contact me wherever you are

(still freaking out)

xoxo
Me

a shadow in the wind
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

wow

Post by a shadow in the wind » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:40 pm

this is a gr8 idea

iv decided im gna by my best friend a msif bar of chocolate cuase shes always been there 4 me

the edge of the world
knows the ropes
knows the ropes

Post by the edge of the world » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:41 am

Not today... but a couple days ago I saw a guy who looked hungry outside a store when I was going in, so I bought him some oranges...
I feel bad that I didn't ask him what kind of food he liked, though.. I mean, he might be alergic to oranges... :-? And I should have gotten him something more substantial, but I couldn't find a sandwich or anything :(
He was very gracious, though.

I like doing things like that, but then i always think of what more I could have done... and I don't like anyone I know see me do something like that because I don't want to fool them into thinking I'm a nice person.

kendra
town councillor
town councillor

Post by kendra » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:53 am

I went out to lunch with my mom the other day (she has been wanting to forever) she was very happy

starcatuk
sock rocker
sock rocker

Post by starcatuk » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:13 pm

yesterday i agreed to help out in my local school while all the children are doing a music workshop.

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:14 am

There's this homeless man always sitting in the station tunnel with a sign that says "homeless, manic depressive, need money etc.."

I told him I dont have any money, but I gave him a crane and I told him it symbolises hope.

I really, really hope it helped in some iota of a way.

John Churton Collins

TheAlmightyMogg
growing roots
growing roots

Post by TheAlmightyMogg » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:41 pm

i bought the fags :P they came outa my lunch money but they were needed. ten cigerrettes goes in about two seconds around my two best mates and me.
lol maybe you will only really appreciate this kind act if you know what going withoug nicotine when you depend on it is like.
does that mean it doesnt count?

KathyG
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by KathyG » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:58 pm

I really love this thread. It is great for my morale.

Today I bought lunch for my friend and brought it to her at her work.

I also paid an over due library book fine for someone else.
Kathy

My Place

*Official Card Carrying Member of Club Konfusion*

Member of OATS -- Oldies Against Text Speak

ifonly
one of us
one of us

Post by ifonly » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:58 pm

what a wonderful thread.

today i gave this girl, a mom of 3 who's husband is in jail, $10. she said she'd pay me back, but when she does i'm gonna stick it in her car.

the other day i dressed gothic, black eyeliner and lipstick and all-i haven't done that in a while out of sheer laziness to do makeup- and i went to the mall. i went out of my way to be sweet to every old person i met, and to strike up converations with people who looked at me like i was a monster or something. i held open the door for moms with strollers, smiled at the "preppy" kids in hollister and wished them a good day, sat next to an old man on a bench and told him jesus loved him, god was absolutely crazy about him.

i hope i was breaking down predjudices...
omnia vincit amor; et nos cedamus amori