Random acts of kindness (feel free to join in)

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Naomi_Om
creating your space
creating your space

Random acts of kindness (feel free to join in)

Post by Naomi_Om » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:43 am

"Random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty"

I've often noticed when I was doing badly, just doing something tiny to step out of my pain and do something nice/kind for someone else, no matter how tiny, has lifted my mood and got me to feel better about myself.

I don't mean saving the world or donating a million dollars...I mean little things like smiling at someone on the street, taking out the garbage when you dont' have to, picking up a piece of trash on the street, letting somone go in front of you in line, putting a nice card or message somewhere for someone, maybe even anonymously....

So I thought maybe if bussers wanted to join in - have a little challenge....once a day, or as much as you like/can, try one little tiny and maybe even random act of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

Anyone in?

Naomi
~"Which wolf will you feed?"~

StevieLynn
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by StevieLynn » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:53 am

I love the idea!

I had dinner ready for my father when he walked in the door today, even though he intimidates and invalidates me.
In Which Something Oooh Occurred

And it felt like a winter machine that you go through and then you catch your breath and winter starts again, and everyone else was springbound. And when I chose to live, there was no joy, it's just a line I crossed. I wasn't worth the pain my death would cost, so I was not lost or found....But when you live in a world, well, it gets in to who you th ought you'd be. And now I laugh at how the world changed me. I think life chose me after all.
--Dar Williams

Naomi_Om
creating your space
creating your space

Post by Naomi_Om » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:25 am

Awesome!

I totally forgot to post one myself! D'uh!

Today I got a few things together to get my friend through the day food-wise (healthy snacks) as she is spending the whole day with her friend in the hospital.

I also went to sleep yesterday at a somehwhat decent hour (kindness to myself hehe)

:D

Naomi

steady hands
quintessential regular
quintessential regular

Post by steady hands » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:37 am

Today I found a dollar bill on the street. Instead of picking it up, I left it there for someone else to find.

:grnstar: gretchen.

Lynds
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by Lynds » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:59 am

Nice thread-I like it!

I find if I feel crap, I let people go in traffic and that makes me feel better although it usually pisses the people off who are behind me!!

I made a card for my boss and one for our part-timer the other day to cheer them up as they are both finding things difficult right now. They were really taken aback but both loved them.

:bfly:
"She would never know, because he would never tell her. Somehow if she’d known the worst parts, she couldn’t have gone on being a haven for him… He needed her ignorance to hide in. Yet at the same time, he wanted to know and be known as deeply as possible. And the two desires were irreconcilable"
From Regeneration by Pat Barker

ProudPatriot07
growing roots
growing roots

Post by ProudPatriot07 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:38 pm

Random acts of kindness are awesome :D. There's nothing better than doing something for others, because it helps them and makes me feel better in the process.

Friday, my friend's picture was in the paper for a play he's in, and I went out and bought a copy of the paper to give to him, since he doesn't have a car. This way he won't have to walk to the gas station off campus to get one =).

-Amy

one out of none
bus addict
bus addict

Post by one out of none » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:38 pm

Today, I made mix cds for all my friends. They're all snowed under with work and stuff at the moment, so I thought it would cheer them up. I'll be giving them to them tomorrow.

zombiepeople
knows the ropes
knows the ropes
Location: next to the spooky bus stop...i've never seen a bus there though...hmm

Post by zombiepeople » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:10 am

Nice :star:
I gave my little brother a bag of Starburst candy at the movie theatre.

Scatterbrain
bus conductor
bus conductor

Post by Scatterbrain » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:12 am

This is a cool thread!

I smiled at an old lady who was at wallgreens and I let a couple people into my lane in traffic.

~Megan
"The impossible just takes a little longer."
- HCJ (1/9/25- 2/26/08 )

"That there, that's not me/I go where I please/I walk through walls/I float down the Liffey
I'm not here/This isn't happening"
- "How to Disappear Completely" Radiohead

Place: Want to live and breathe/I want to be part of the human race
PBH: Back to the basics

Naomi_Om
creating your space
creating your space

Post by Naomi_Om » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:46 pm

* I decided that instead of being angry at being woken up at 3am I would get up and talk to my friend who was having a really hard time

:D

Naomi

StevieLynn
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by StevieLynn » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:53 am

I volunteered to work a double shift so our manager could go home and spend time with her husband.

And it felt like a winter machine that you go through and then you catch your breath and winter starts again, and everyone else was springbound. And when I chose to live, there was no joy, it's just a line I crossed. I wasn't worth the pain my death would cost, so I was not lost or found....But when you live in a world, well, it gets in to who you th ought you'd be. And now I laugh at how the world changed me. I think life chose me after all.
--Dar Williams

Seeshellz
my other car is a bus
my other car is a bus

Post by Seeshellz » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:40 am

I donated some money to the Heart and Stroke foundation even though I am on a strict budget and it wasn't on my budget, but I'll get by OK!
"If you learn from your suffering,

and really come to understand the lesson you were taught,

you might be able to help someone else who's now

in the phase you may have just completed.

Maybe that's what it's all about after all..."

Anonymous

Naomi_Om
creating your space
creating your space

Post by Naomi_Om » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:02 am

awesome guys! always nice to see people doing kind things too! :D

I've been kinda in the gutter lately, but today I can say I spent a couple hours on the phone with a friend who's quite alone and grieving, and I'm glad I could help that way at least :)

And also all the people who showed some kindness and caring towards the same friend.

Naomi

kendra
town councillor
town councillor

Post by kendra » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:36 am

Cool idea
I told a professor a friend of mine would be a perfect candidate to work in their lab!
My friend was nearly speachless :P

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:41 pm

nice thread :)

I used to carry a non-permanent marker in my bag, and when I was alone in a public bathroom I'd write something on the mirror for the next person to see, like "your life is beautiful".

I often wondered what people thought of it.
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find.
John Churton Collins

Lynds
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by Lynds » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:13 pm

I was once in a public bathroom and someone had written on the bottom of the door (which was quite short and left a big gap between the floor and the door) 'beware of limbo dancers'. It made me laugh so much I told my mum about it too and she was in hysterics...I then wrote it in on as well...felt quite guilty for grafitying a door but hoped it'd make somebody laugh as much as I did.

Also when I was on holiday once I stood on this cliff edge looking out over the beach and someone had written in the sand in massive letters 'hi everyone' it looked amazing. I've always wanted to do that....like in the song by James: I found a message in the sand, it read: just do the best you can.

:bfly:
"She would never know, because he would never tell her. Somehow if she’d known the worst parts, she couldn’t have gone on being a haven for him… He needed her ignorance to hide in. Yet at the same time, he wanted to know and be known as deeply as possible. And the two desires were irreconcilable"
From Regeneration by Pat Barker

StevieLynn
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by StevieLynn » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:26 pm

I made my little sister breakfast in bed just because she's home from college for the weekend.

Love,
Stevie

--Dar Williams

Naomi_Om
creating your space
creating your space

Post by Naomi_Om » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:16 am

I have always loved interesting, funny and thought-provoking graffiti in washrooms! I've felt bad about 'vandalizing property' but I often get a kick out of those funny messages on the walls, I think it's worth it! That was often a highlight of my day, when I was feeling really alone and down!

Someone last year actually put up posters around town, especially the worst parts of town, that said 'You are Beautiful'
(and I took a picture of that too! so maybe if I can figure out how it works, or if it's allowed, I'll put it up).

Things like that are often so inspiring!
And the smallest gestures from people, also. Thank you guys! :D

As for me, today:
:star: I spent some time with a friend helping her sort out her relationship and trust that are surfacing for her right now

Naomi

Naomi_Om
creating your space
creating your space

Post by Naomi_Om » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:39 am

well, i can't figure out how to put up pictures on BUS :o
help?

I think it would be great if a whole bunch of people got together and just did something wacky and nice - whether it's putting posters up around town with a neat message, or just did random kind things around town...

...maybe be the 'hooligans of kindness' or something like that...

lol or maybe i'm dreaming....but c'mon! it'd be FUN!
anyone in? anyone?

today I remembered a bit, not to scowl so much and...
:star: gave my seat on the bus to a gentleman who was trying to do some reading on his way home
:star: gave a vitamin C packet to a co-worker who wasn't feeling well

other people? other than me? :blush:

Naomi

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:17 am

sounds like a good idea, maybe think of something and start a topic on main about it :)

pictures.. you have to get your pic online first... i use http://www.imageshack.us/ then post [img]http://www.whatever%20the%20URL%20of%20your%20picture%20is.com[/img]

I've been leaving paper cranes in random places & sending them to people..
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find.
John Churton Collins