Getting through christmas/new year

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:32 am

"Annual relative events", as I call them can be really stressful. For me anyway. I hate it because there's a large bunch of people who don't really know me and usually there's noone there my age (there's either little kids or adults). So basically what happens is people come up to me and ask me something generic like "so.. hows university going" and I end up having to answer the same questions over and over again. And I hate it.

What is do is just basically ask them questions to stop me having to talk. "So uncle tom, how that old car of yours".. and he talks about his car while I nod and smile and think up the next question. After a while I say excuse me, and go find someone else to do the same thing with.

Loneliness is a big one for me too. I feel sad that people are going out and having fun at parties and stuff, places I wouldn't feel right about going. NYE is the biggest for me. I usually stay at home because I'm really scared of crowds and stuff, but it's fairly lonely watching the fireworks on TV when everyone else is watching them for real. I don't know.

It's good that I'm working over the public holidays this year. Which means I actually can't go out, and I get lots of money :)

I'm going to try and get to a Christmas party sometime though, just so I can't say 'well, I spent the whole festive season all by myself'..
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find.
John Churton Collins

marshmallowfluff
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by marshmallowfluff » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:29 am

fast-forward to past christmas, please.
"Dance like no one's watching.
Love like you'll never be hurt.
Sing like there's nobody listening.
And live like it's heaven on earth."

Chaocontrol6
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Chaocontrol6 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:07 pm

Someone mentioned it in their post and it's exactly the same for me this year, Me, Mum, Dad and Nan, no sister...she is working up north from where I live, she's moved out and can't get back to celebrate. This is the first time without her and it's going to be really wierd, the focus will be on me opening my presents mainly and enjoying them, but yes my parents get the odd presents, but my sister will be opening hers at her flat alone, which is a really bad thing, and I don't want that, I want her here to have a laugh and try and nick my presents and joke and laugh like we used to...
Just let time tell the story, and act accordingly. (Phrase by myself)
H.A.L.T!!! (Genius!!)
These feelings too, shall pass. (BUS phrase?)
The power lives in me!(Place)

ashley_dp
town councillor
town councillor

Post by ashley_dp » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:58 am

Christmas is hard for me because of past issues involving family SU. I am not gonna go into details but it is really hard on me plus I am usually alone.

The new year worries me because I am afraid of setting goals and failing at them. I have a huge fear of failing so that is why I tend to pull away from setting a resolution. I am going to try it this year that way I can work on my failure fear.

One way I cope with all of this, it playing my violin or flute. I don't listen to music that involves christmas cause it depresses me more but I find something that will help perk me up. I will clean house or something that makes me feel good. that is just how I try to cope.
~*~*~* Ash *~*~*~

" My heart is broken
Sweet dreams my dark angel"

marshmallowfluff
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by marshmallowfluff » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:35 am

i some how got through christmas. now new year. new year is usually harder than christmas. i'd imagine more so this year than any other :(

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:09 am

*nods*

anyone else staying at home for new year? :(
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

John Churton Collins

treasure
forum moderator - workshop & before & after
forum moderator - workshop & before & after

Post by treasure » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:24 am

yes, but i usually do. i might im my brother or sister to have something grounding. i will probably try and forget it's a new year til the 2nd or 3rd, let it happen gradually instead of suddenly? not that i can forget properly, but just avoid tv and don't go out, just read or do computer stuff at night.
treasure
virtual hugs welcome.
shiny place or old place

marshmallowfluff
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by marshmallowfluff » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:32 pm

im staying home too. have been invited out by several people, but dont plan on going. my excuse is that i'm going t london on 1st, so have to be in bed early on 31st ;) i planned to sleep through new year anyway.

ashley_dp
town councillor
town councillor

Post by ashley_dp » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:18 am

I made it through christmas with one slip.

I am home alone (for yet ANOTHER holiday) on New Years. I dont have big plans. I will be in bed early. Just another day for me.
~*~*~* Ash *~*~*~

" My heart is broken
Sweet dreams my dark angel"

BlacKat
growing roots
growing roots

Post by BlacKat » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:25 am

For me, all my IRL friends are at college, and Christmas is the one break where we're not even allowed to stay in the dorms (plus I don't have work as an excuse to stay). Just being at home and being expected to be happy to see my parents is a lot.

5th section
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring
Location: if rain makes Britain great then Manchester is greater

Post by 5th section » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:06 pm

This year xmas was hard at first, but easier once we'd all admitted that it was going to be a sad occasion in a lot of ways, there was no need to keep up appearances (cos we were all in the same boat really) and if someone felt like crap no-one minded them admitting it. After that it was fine, even quite enjoyed bits.
...then one day I realised that the people you see in waiting rooms and car parks and on trains are really far more interesting. That they all have whole novels inside them, a fabric of scar tissues, photos and memories. They are comedies and tragedies and - more often - both at the same time.
- Anna James (1984-2007)

son of ultimate starshine / brother of Eisa & Sprink / Birdie's ornithologist / married to Mande / Chey's uncle
- my place
- my band (or more accurately, the band of which I am the bassist) some SI/SU triggers in lyrics...proceed with caution...

GOING STRAIGHT SINCE 1ST DECEMBER 2009

whatever
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by whatever » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:56 am

i slept away the evening of New Year's (because it was really really hot and i was exhausted) and apart from having to explain to everyone who asked "So, what did you do for New Year's?!", it was grrreat.
i also had the best Christmas/family gatherings in about 10 years (which isn't to say that there weren't minor annoyances aplenty). but i think it's the first Christmas i managed not to SI in about 5 years, so i'm feeling good about that. glad that Christmas isn't for another 11-and-a-half months, though.

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:10 pm

bumpity

John Churton Collins

kalayla
wearer of happy pants
wearer of happy pants

Post by kalayla » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:19 pm

christmas this year shouldnt be too bad,
since im older now i can basically leave if
it gets me too upset but i really hope that
doesnt happen.&& i already have my new
years planned and i think it will turn out well

merry xmas to all!
{ItsFatalYouKnow}
"when they finally
found me this halo fit my throat. I am your contorted angel"

SI free: a while
{{disco lemonade}}
my place<3

snowangel_03
my other car is a bus
my other car is a bus

Post by snowangel_03 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:58 pm

i don't know how i'm gonna get through this xmas/new year, considering the developments of the last week or so with the bf.

i'm at my parents for xmas day itself, and we're having my father in law over new years eve.
i don't know if i can put on myhappy face for that long.

any tips?
> Give SnowAngel HUGS <
:tslug: Last SI: -- Image

> My Sigillum Diaboli - Read 1stPost <

KLove24's twin | Owns ultimate starshine | Haven's special RW buddy
Oftentimes all we need is a thought or a message to help us see another side to the problem,
or just some hope that life will be better - magicmum

Hugs & PM's are fine
The Truth that can set Souls Free is Buried within Sweet Pandemonium
To cry is to know that you're alive

ultimate starshine
buskateer
buskateer

Post by ultimate starshine » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:37 am

the only way i know to get thgough it ok is to keep myself to myself until like xmas eve and then try to interact with people on christmas day.
Sprink is my wonderful gobby (goblin) daughter
I am 5th Sections mummy
RDS is my amazing sister
Elmoscaresme is my adorable niece
I am Eisa's Fairy

"The marks I make, The steps I take, Prove i still exist" ~ written by me."

"Never let the fear of striking out... stop you from playing the game" - A cinderella story

Place

km
orange smartie
orange smartie

Post by km » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:30 am

Christmwas to me just means arguements, at least this year i'm in my own place now in the lead up to it but i'll have to spend christmas day itself with family, i'm not looking forward to that.
Guess i'll just plaster on the happy face and try get out of there as soon as i can....
Karen

Sometimes you just have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down

The same girl who laughs, talks a lot and seems very happy may also be the girl who cry's herself to sleep at night....

My place:
Karens head space!

marshmallowfluff
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by marshmallowfluff » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:47 pm

going to her house for xmas this year - gah!
taking my car, whether my dad is taking his or not, so i can escape if needs be. there's no way im staying at her house on xmas night. or xmas eve for that matter.
new year. well, last year i got wasted, went home at 11, was asleep by 11.15. i plan ondoing the same this year, that way the fireworks wont wake me up. lol.

strmdncr
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by strmdncr » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:27 am

I thought I was going to be spending NYE with one of my best friends b/c she originally didn't have anything more planned than watching movies but when I talked to her the other night she mentioned "oh, and I have plans for NYE". Not that it looks like it matters too much anyhow seeing as my sis will probably still be in hospital so I'll be looking after her kids. Maybe I'll celebrate with an early bedtime.
A friend is someone who believes in you even when you've ceased to believe in yourself. (unknown)

strmdncr's sanctuary
strmdncr speaks

capricorn
awe-inspiring
awe-inspiring

Re: Getting through christmas/new year

Post by capricorn » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:51 pm

I actually like Christmas for what it is.
It's just that my parents are really liable to getting stressed out/anxious/bad tempered, and as much as I sound like a child, I can't stand that. I just hide in my room and pretend I'm not there. Which is excellent fun. :roll:
And I hate when my dad gets angry with his sister. She's always late and disorganised, but she's lovely. I wish he'd give her a break. :-?
~Capri
xoxo

"Awake and unafraid."
My Chemical Romance

"I am haunted by humans."
The Book Thief

"Been trying hard not to get into trouble, but I've got a war in my mind."
Lana Del Rey

"It's always darkest just before the dawn. So stay awake with me. Let's prove them wrong."
Rise Against

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Dune