Block-o-ice

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Foregone96
one of us
one of us

Block-o-ice

Post by Foregone96 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:39 am

So I don't know if I would really qualify this as a coping strategy but this seems like the most fitting place to post it so here goes. About a week ago I remembered a conversation I had a long time ago where my dad told me that some shopaholics will actually freeze their credit card in a block of ice in order to keep from using it, and I was thinking that maybe the same basic theory could be transferred to SI, just replace frozen credit card with frozen blades. I think this could possibly serve a couple good purposes. If your like me getting rid of all blades in the house isn't a good idea because simply knowing you don't have the option to SI gives a mini-panic attack, so even though your blades are frozen and at least immediately inaccessible there's still the option to SI, its just gonna be a pain in the butt to actually do. Also I know some people use holding ice as a sort of replacement for cutting so you get 2 birds with one big chunk of ice. Obviously there are ways to cheat and melt it faster but the hope is that it will cause enough of a delay that the urge will be more under control and easier to resist.

Anyway let me know if you think this would work or if its a completely hair-brained idea :) Unfortunately I'm unable to try it myself as none of my dorm mates know I SI and it would be a little awkward to explain a razorblade-popsicle...

Chaocontrol6
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Chaocontrol6 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:07 pm

First of all, I just HAD to laugh at the razorblade popsicle description, that made me giggle :lol:

Second, it sounds like an excellent idea :D I mean I have only done the ice-cube method (as in cube in hand, it make hand go cold and painful etc etc) when I was coping with an urge to SI before and in my opinion, it works :) Some people may criticise though in the sense that allowing yourself to still have physical pain through having ice on your hand means you are still allowing yourself to superficially hurt, however it's that or cut yourself if no pain at all isn't an option, so I deem it acceptable.

Anyway I think it's a great idea, and not one I have heard off before :D

:redstar: Jason :redstar:
Just let time tell the story, and act accordingly. (Phrase by myself)
H.A.L.T!!! (Genius!!)
These feelings too, shall pass. (BUS phrase?)
The power lives in me!(Place)

zombiepeople
knows the ropes
knows the ropes
Location: next to the spooky bus stop...i've never seen a bus there though...hmm

Post by zombiepeople » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:42 am

I think it's a really good idea...unique to say the least :) If i lived alone I think it'd definitely try it, but as I don't...it would be a bit difficult to explain a razorblade popsicle to my dad or little brother :lol:
"Wouldn't it be great to heal the world with only a song?"
~Serj Tankian
"Honking Antelope

Katylee
building community
building community

Post by Katylee » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:06 am

wow...or what if they accidentally used it as normal ice?!?
Yeah, great if you have your own freezer.
Here is a test to find whether your mission on earth is finished: If you’re alive it isn’t.
- Richard Bach

ImageMy Place: Life sucks compared to what?

http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php? ... 19#3551519

Roxi
knows the ropes
knows the ropes

Post by Roxi » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:59 pm

I've heard this suggestion before.. I think it's clever. I would have done it if I was living alone with my own freezer :)

We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving… We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins… We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything." - Courtney Martin.

Foregone96
one of us
one of us

Post by Foregone96 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:39 am

Haha it seems the major flaw is that none of us live alone :)

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Post by Spidey » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:44 am

I did this!

The bad thing though is that they RUST! Which is probably a good thing in disguise xD
there is, in the end, the letting go.
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

:cowave:

travelgirl
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by travelgirl » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:59 am

i actually just tried this after having read about it somewhere else. It is kind of a benefit that i live with other people because it just makes it that much harder to get to. I just put it in an opaque container added some water and froze. although i did break down and melt the ice in the shower the next day... but it worked at controlling the immediate urge.

badgirl22
driving instructor
driving instructor

Post by badgirl22 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:18 pm

really good idea. I really like it. Thanks.
-Badgirl22