How Do I Stop?

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

justcallmemillie
one of us
one of us

How Do I Stop?

Post by justcallmemillie » Wed May 03, 2006 3:47 am

Does Anyone Have Any Good Ideas About How To Stop Cutting? I Don't Think I'm Ready To Stop But I'm Trying To Try Different Things To See If Anything Else Works. I Would Really Appreciate It. :-? [/quote][/code]

OverTheWorst
beyond inspiring
beyond inspiring

Post by OverTheWorst » Wed May 03, 2006 10:53 am

When you get the urge to cut go out for a long walk or write down your feelings so you can understand them better.
Write down the negatives for cutting
Talk to someone (pm me if you want)

dbms
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by dbms » Wed May 03, 2006 1:45 pm

Have you looked at the list of strategies at the top of the coping section there are lots of good ideas in there. I prefer writing, music, going for a drive. If it's really bad I go to a mall and wander about, there are lots of people so I'm not alone but I don't have to talk to them.

Take care ...
Mark
I looked for a person who most needed my kindness today and somehow found myself.

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Post by Spidey » Wed May 03, 2006 6:48 pm

i agree with dbms - there are *tons* of suggestions throughout coping - feel free to read back a couple gazillion pages if you want, and the stickies.

some suggestions from my end:

- try to identify the feeling/situation behind your urge. try to find out what is causing the urge and work through that
- answering the questions in the before & after forum
- try to construct some coping mechansims for stressors that you experience. if not coping mechanisms, some non-self-destructive distractions.
there is, in the end, the letting go.
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

:cowave: